Thursday, August 02, 2007

Too much

I can't wrap my head around this bridge collapse. It's just too sad. It's not a bridge I traveled often myself, but have been over it. The official death toll is fairly low, but with 20-30 people unaccounted for, is there any doubt where they are or what happened to them? My prayer when I heard was that God would bring a miracle, and that He would protect people.

So many things have been swimming through my head the last few days: Finances, adoption related stuff, foster kid stuff, my own eating disorder stuff. I'm not sure where to start. Daily updates, perhaps?

Yesterday I went bumming around with my friend Kelly, just dinner and a little shopping. On the spur of the moment I decided to get a pedicure, it felt so good and I have fresh polish with a cute little flower painted on each big toe. It never ceases to amaze me that such a simple little thing can be such a big deal.

Food for yesterday: big old quesadilla burger from Applebee's. Way too many calories, to my credit I didn't finish it or the french fries that came with it. I did have a very watered down glass of peach sangria and I split buffalo wings with Kelly too. Breakfast was a slice of buttered toast on the mega colon blow Natural Ovens bread, along with three pieces of bacon. I snacked on two tiny (Stud dear, what was the deal with the tiny pancakes??) pancakes with butter, coffee of course, a peach and a plum.

I made my puppies so happy with rawhides, they have not bugged me at all today. The boys, on the other hand need a lot more structure to keep them from bugging me. The 18 year old in particular is upset with me, as I'm watching CNN's coverage of the bridge collapse. He doesn't understand why this is something I want to keep watching. I'm a bit surprised, had it been the radish, I wouldn't have been. The 18 year old is far more empathetic, apparently not as much as I thought. They have no other entertainment besides the TV and video games, it's a herculean effort to get them to help with chores, but yet he's bucky about not being able to watch what he wants on TV.

Media vent: Already, the media vultures have descended. I'm no better, I'm watching CNN. Paula Zahn will cover this tonight, and that annoying, self-righteous pompous Oprah loving bonehead, Anderson Copper is going to be reporting live tonight, from Minneapolis. The government is talking about the crisis with our infrastructure. It annoys me that it takes a bridge collapsing before this is in the forefront of anyone's mind. Realistically, is our infrastructure going to be any safer? I doubt it. But I bet millions of Americans will jump on the bandwagon and end up *thinking* it's safer.

I think I'm going to do a few separate blogs today, just to try and organize my thoughts. Thank God, they are going to the library, they'll be out of my hair for a few hours. I wish I could enjoy them again, perhaps once school starts.

No comments: