Monday, August 27, 2007

Dear Mother in Law

It's really not far to call you my mother in law. What you really are is a second mom, the one I wished my own could have been. It reminds me of the little girl we cared for, she didn't really want me to be her mom, she just wanted her own mom to be more like me. That's how I feel. I want a healthy mom whose shoulder I could cry on. Thank you for yours. Without all that you ahve done for us, I don't know where we would be. Without your love and support, well, let's just say that when I hear horror stories from friends about their mother in laws, I say a prayer of gratitude for you.

Again, just looking around the house...so much of it is because of you. The deck, the beautiful dining room table (which we never would have bought for ourselves), the basement carpet and stove, and of course, the bathroom. Over the years to many little things too...like the plants around the house for my birthday, your mom's plants. I hope it's as encouraging to you as it is to me, to know that the generations are putting down roots that go so far back.

I just wanted to write this down for you because its so hard to say and even though I know you won't see this it feels good to do. I get emotional and weepy but today of all days I felt I had to say it. You said you're proud of us. That means the world to me, having rarely heard it from my own parents. It's needed and feels so good.

I wish we had some way to pay you back. I promise we will be there for you and we will care for you if you ever need it. I miss our lunches together and look forward to being able to do them again.

Love,
Sunny the dear daughter in law

No comments: