Saturday, August 18, 2007

Eureka, the light went on today. The RADish accused me of being cranky because it was "my time of the month." Such a delight, our little radish! He said he didn't know what my problem was...well, that's when the light went on because I DO know what his problem is. I've known all along but I just haven't been parenting him like it. Another point, and a good reminder came from the 18 year old. He asked if the radish likes being grounded and I replied with "I think it makes him feel safe." There must be some truth to it!

I had a long conversation with a new foster parent friend, who knows the radish's family. She's confused, perplexed and getting sucked in bad. I tried to warn her and I think she realizes she has to be careful. The level of manipulation by every member of this family can only be combated by keeping contact brief and to the point. At every chance they'll look for any perceived upper hand, real or imagined. The radish's sister is particularly adept and easy to believe because she's a girl. It's amazing that that half truths are spouted as reality time and time again.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. This results in lots of dancing, faster and faster. Lots of energy wasted on keeping up with one's own BS. What a waste of life.

We suspect the 18 year old is lying about his firing. I think he probably got yelled at--rightly so--for missing too many days. So he quit. He's still on the schedule for next week. He's so quiet it's easy to just ignore him most days. If I think about it, he's just as messed up as the radish, but it comes out in such different ways. For that I'm grateful or I think I would have gone crazy by now.

Only a little over a week before school starts, I'm excited again. Now that the job decision has been settled, I can relax a tiny bit until the hunt for LPN jobs starts in December. I'm glad I didn't sell myself short.

No comments: