Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm a little disappointed in our financial management. Although much improved, I'm disappointed that we've managed to run up both credit cards again. I am, however, encouraged that we've managed to pay off one car, and have made enough cuts to make good headway with $1300 LESS each month. That's true financial management. We are still able to toss close to $1000/month at debt. So I am confident that we'll be able to continue making good headway. I'm also very proud of myself. This used to be a major source of anxiety, and I DID have a bit of a meltdown earlier this summer when we were anticipating another big income cut. I admit, I did freak out.

Another major change: We really, truly, certainly have a plan. An honest to goodness financial plan, one that anticipates changing income and although the prep is not finished yet, it IS on the books/in the works. Monthly bill time is kind of fun now, it's like a triumph each month, a mini-dragon to be slaid. I recall a time when we were both so bad at this that we would just ignore the pile of bills until we absolutely HAD to deal with it. My stomach would be in knots for a simple lack of knowledge. There was one incident in particular where we were in the basement, trying not to wake The Trio and as we opened everything we realized that we were quite solvent.

I do credit Dave Ramsey's methods with a lot of our success. We've tried the envelope system in the past with limited success...we just were not able to keep up the discipline for more than 6 months or so, or our momentum would be off set be unexpected expenses and we'd quite. This is the first time that I can recall that we've been able to keep this up for this long--over a year now. I do enjoy the Ramsey website, it's great for encouragement and ideas. There are a lot of wackos on there--just like everywhere else--but I consider that comic relief.

One thing that I'm not able to agree with is the 10% tithe. I don't think God mandates that anymore. He wants us to give freely with a cheerful heart and common sense tells us if the bottom line is in the red because of tithing, God will tell us not to give. Charity really DOES begin at home. Whoever said you can live better off of 90% than 100% clearly had enough money to do so; for the average middle class family with kids, car payments, a mortgage, and credit cards...well, that's just suicidal advice.

I do have a friend who did this. She couldn't pay the electrical bill, but knew if she wasn't current on her tithe that she couldn't get help from her church to pay the electric bill. That is NOT biblical, and I don't think God appreciates or approves of the actions of churches who twist his Word this way.

3 comments:

HMECDM said...

A bit of a melt down?
I don't that that phrase means what you think it means.

HMECDM said...

envelope system? I don't remember any stining envelope system [Cheech M. voice]

As for the friend - look where she is now!

Sunny said...

bah humbug honey. It was a meltdown and you know it. If I recall correctly, didn't you tell me I was acting irrationally? Which resulted in further meltdown?