Saturday, July 28, 2007

Teenagers really are clueless

Most of our weekends are filled with lots of errands. I often try to combine these with the boys' work schedule, but since DS got fired from his job here in town, and the other two keep taking off of work, I was finally able to go to the store I like to go to, which is cheaper than the store I've been ending up at. My stud was able to come along too, I can't remember the last time that happened! It must be close to a year ago. I do recall a mall trip earlier this spring where we gave the boys their spring clothing money. Just tells me we don't get a lot of time alone. Ever. We used to shop together all the time.


Food update: The last several weeks sucked. My dietician AKA the Food Police would be very disappointed if he could see my food logs. However, today was much better and I used my actual hunger as a guide. It helps that I'm feeling a bit better too. Food for today was a 6" sub, a bag of baked chips, a yogurt, caramel high rise, a bowl of cereal, and three squares of homemade pizza.

I also canned marinara sauce, using tomatoes purchased from a local farmer's market and a mix. The finished cans are now happily popping on the counter. My black lab is unhappy with the noise. He can't figure out what it is!


Something has been bothering our radish all weekend. Turns out, he couldn't figure out if he should go back out with a girl who dumped him for "no reason". Something tells me he's not worried about getting hurt but rather he was weighing his options and trying to figure out if he would get something out of this relationship. Since he has the "emotional range of a teaspoon" to quote Hermione Granger, I doubt that he's looking for emotional closeness or even anything remotely close to what most teenagers are looking for in a dating relationship. I worried about what he does want from her.

Overall, a very quiet weekend that ended late, about 2am. I had to be up early, but much later than the last eight weeks. I started my pt job training today. What a freakin' joke! Although there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a good to build my total patient care skills, the 'training' was geared to the lowest common denominator. At one point, I almost walked out, it was that demeaning. I managed to focus instead on what my dear, sweet stud had told me: This will be good spending money for me, or pad our Christmas fund. However, it really ticks me off that I spent the last 8 weeks being completely responsible for patients' well being but have to be supervised by a licensed RN, who has to check my meds before I can give them and now I spend 1/2 hour reading do's and don't's of med distribution and I can pass meds as a personal care worker. Something does not sit well with me. First off, the lowest common denominator...and than after 1/2 hour of unsupervised reading and a few multiple choice questions I'm qualified to do this unsupervised??? WTF? If this is how we are getting more people into the least restrictive care setting I have a serious problem with it and question the quality of care provided.

As usual, I sell myself short. Although I tend to have unrealistically high expectations of my own performance, my poor self esteem sells me short on actual jobs. I'll take it as a good sign that today's 'training' pissed me off.

I burned off my frustrations by laughing at the misfortunes of our radish, who ended up in town all day after screwing up his work schedule again. I did manage to take pity on him and bought him some chicken fingers at the deli. Did he take any money with him? No, of course not, he expected to fill up--FILL UP--on free root beer at work!! He didn't eat breakfast, he didn't pack a lunch, and I really, really, really debated getting him anything to eat.

My McDonald's bag guilted me into it.

After getting home, I tried to clean the house as quickly as possible. I hate coming home to a mess and even though my sweet stud doesn't seem to mind, it can't hurt to try and have a clean quiet house for him to come home to, can it? I even managed to shampoo the living room rug before he got home. While I'm working up a sweat, DS is whining on the couch about how bored he is. One would think he would have learned not to say such things, especially when his mother is cleaning like a madwoman. He clearly has some form of ADD that permits him to forget such things. I managed to guilt him into taking out a bag of garbage and feed the dogs.

Update: Even though he's watching a movie now, I know he's bored to tears. He's picking at his toes, and I can only thank God right now that he's lost the flexibility to get him into his mouth. He used to chew the toenails, a habit that made me nauseated every time I saw him do it. I know how often he washes those feet!

1 comment:

HMECDM said...

Lovely little radishes!
When I spoke with Mr. Poopy-stupid head he told me that when he called for his hours, some “idiot” told him the wrong hours.
This may be completely true, as if he were my co-worker, I would love to see him fired.
In any case he takes no responsibility for the “error”.
It is his responsibility to know his hours, and can’t remember to get them when he is actually at work.
It is also his problem if people hate him and wish him ill. He needs to guard against that and speak with someone reliable and professional. Not the 14 year-old co-worker who knows he is a fudged-up self-absorbed little…(he pissed me off this morning so I am being a bit nasty).

Its his problem and the fact that he was board out of his skull for 4 hours (oh no not 4 whole hours – I have been in hostile meetings that were longer than that), is good natural consequence. Not that he is going to get it, BUT WE KEEP TRYING.