Thursday, July 26, 2007

The ignorance of youth

Surprisingly, this rant is not about my kidlets, but rather dh's second cousin. After a wonderful lunch paid for by his aunt, his 19 year old cousin announces--with her 5 month old baby in her arms--that they are ttc'ing #2. WTF? She says her dh is already working long hours, often 16 hours. And they think another baby would be a good idea. I have no doubt she's a good mother, I've seen that first hand. Youth is lucky, most of the time they walk around clueless. There are a few out there that lose that ignorance early. They are usually easy to spot. Serious, and they look older than they really are. I think I'm one of those people. This cousin, on the other hand, gives the appearance of innocence, despite coming from a divorced home and a mother with a drug problem. If only she didn't seem like she was just playing.

In other news, DS announced he's sick of the other boys leaving dishes in the basement. I gently reminded him of the cup 'o cereal he forgot about several months back. By the time my stud and I found it, there was no hope. The whole glass had to be thrown out. Although he admitted to it "opps, sorry, hahaha!" he now maintains that he's not guilty because he "NEVER" used those mugs. He ONLY used the regular glasses. Yeah, and I never overeat. Ever.

To quarterback Michael Vick: You have how much money and your prefered past time is to bet on dog fighting? You sick bastard.

Back to the modest dress thing, the women I saw walking who I found so interesting. I quick Google search "modest dress" came up with:

1 Timothy 2:9-10 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety: not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array: But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works". Followed closely by: Slacks or pants on a woman are also immodest, because they reveal the form of the body. I know that some people consider slacks more modest than a dress. But if the dresses are long enough, a woman can do many things without appearing immodest. For someone who has only worn slacks for many years, it does take some practice to learn how to work in a dress. But it can be done.

Finally, I ran across a christian message board where this was being discussed. One argument used was that immodest dress is something that's new. HA!! This only works if you go with the argument that immodest dress started when women started wearing pants. So, my question is, ever been to a local Renaissance fair? No? Oh, no wonder you think that all pre-1940's dress was modest. That's like saying "but we all used to do it, so it must be right". I have to resort then to the parental argument of "If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you?" These same individuals use the wine wasn't as strong back then and now in the 21st century all alcohol is evil argument in regards to drinking. If it's such a strong conviction, why not just say that? why not just say because I want to dress this way. I don't get why if someone is willing to make such a public statement with their clothing they can't just say that. When hiding behind scripture to defend it, it would be useful if the scripture actually made sense to what the action is. Otherwise, you jsut end up looking like a quack.

No comments: