Thursday, October 04, 2007

Yoga at 220 is a heck of a lot harder than at 175. The principle of use it or lose it has been drilled home. It's not the first time this principle has hit home for me, but I miss being able to fold myself so easily, and I miss the strength I had in my arms. One of the leftover body distortions I have (hopefully on the way out) is that I thought my arms at 175 looked the same as they did at 232. Logically, I knew there had to be some differences, yet I distorted the image in the mirror quite a bit. My stomach gives me problems with some of the bends, but it's a lot worse now. I feel like I should apologize to my body.

MIL is amazing in this respect. I don't know if she's just naturally hyper, or if it's an effort for her like it has been for me, but she looks amazing for 67 years old, and is in fabulous shape. The woman works out several times a week at "silver sneakers" not to mention all the golfing. No cart, of course. Unless I can make sufficient change, I'm far more likely to be in rotten shape like my father and sister, who get winded walking across the street.

It's time to realize that working out for 3-4 days and then doing nothing for a week or two isn't going to cut it. I wish I could understand why it's so hard to keep motivated. I know I'm not alone. 32 million obese people are right behind me with the same struggles. This, I think, is something I'll need to ponder for awhile.

No comments: